2018 Outdoors Queensland Awards – We Won!
We were up against three other extremely good projects so our winning of this award was definitely a surprise. The panel had a difficult time sorting all the nominations down to four finalist and then a painstaking effort to pick a winner.
This award isn’t only for the club committee though. It’s also for:
- all the volunteers who came along to the trail care days and helped,
- the Trailworx crew,
- all the people at QPWS SEQ Region – especially Ranger Eugene Craddock and Pricipal Ranger Stephen Price
- All the local businesses, clubs and schools who gave us letters of support
- Sunshine Coast Regional Council for proving a grant and for Trails Activation Officer Kurt Martin’s help
- Queensland Government Department Housing and Public Works (Sport and Recreation) for providing a grant and for Kathy Rodgers help,
- and to all our members for which the club exists
QORF, MTBA, QPWS and Rob MacDonald deserve special mention for their work on the 2014 Queensland Mountain Bike Strategy. This helped greatly with the project planning and grant applications.
Where to from here? We have a grant submission in to fund a number of maintenance activities within Parklands. These will bring the trails up to a standard a regionally significant MTB trail network deserves. If the funding is secured then work can begin mid-2019 with a view to have it completed by the end of 2020.
Other mountain bike related awards went to Peter Lister ( Encouraging Participation Award & Outdoor Event Award) and the MTBA (Outstanding Achievement Award). See MTBA’s post for more info.
Here’s the video introducing the four nominations for the Queensland Government Award for Outdoor Places and Spaces award: