This week is the Council’s Sunshine Coast Bike Week and in previous years we have put on rides for this at Ewen Maddock Dam, Ferny Forest and Mapleton. This time we decided to take advantage of the new ‘easy/green’ trails at Parklands and by all accounts it was a success. Also don’t forget to register for Wednesday’s #ride2work day and go into the draw for prizes (and get a free breakfast too).
The weather was great, the trails were perfect and the Fast and the Intermediate groups shot off at 7am (thanks Toby, Alf, Murray and Rod for leading). I briefed the ‘rookies’ using the map board and we set off at 7:30am. Note that now that there is demand we will have a group ride for rookies at every Parklands club ride (once a month).
The rookie group started along the new Rookie Road access track and then continued down Detour onto Road Rage before heading up Grand Canyon. We rode up to Coobong firebreak and up the Gumby Loop. From there we continued along Rocky Creek Road and then hopped onto Cancer Tree primer (the start) and then down Rocky Creek Road to the proposed skills area and the beginners loop start/finish.
We did a lap of the beginners loop (keeping in mind that it isn’t finished yet, this was a special ride where we pointed out all the work done (and work which will hopefully be finished real soon so we can open it up). After completing the loop we headed back to the car park via Rookie Road. At this point we gave the option of trying out some more trails and a few of us headed up around Radar Hill Road and then down Ho-Chi-Ho. We even stopped and did some skills building on the big log rollover and showing the various trail features on the way down.
After the rides we went to the Bli Bli Bakery for coffee and a chat.
- Rod entered the recent Love to Ride Sunshine Coast competition and won a 2-night stay at Noosa – lucky bugger!
- Di and new riders Matt (or Mark?) and Timmo had a go at the big rollover at the start of Ho-Chi-Ho and nailed it.
- Di, Emma, Jason and Nathan were practicing their new skills learnt at the recent free skills workshops.
- Intermediate group got a bit mixed up with their multiple definitions of “the top of cancer tree” but it all worked out.
- There are no photos of the “Fast” group – because… well, they were too fast I guess.
- Scrolling through STRAVA there are a heap of PBs and Top 10’s – nice work everyone!
Finally a big hello to all the new riders today (sorry if I’ve stuffed up your names) and as always hello to all the regulars.
Thanks for the ride everyone!